Sunday, February 2, 2014

Unlearning the Myths (Reflection)

 I remember my mom telling me a story about when i was graduating preschool. when you're a kid they have you go up on stage and say what you want to be when you grow up. other kids said a nurse, an astronaut, a police officer, fire fighter and so on. and then it was finally my turn and they asked me the same question as all the other kids, but my answer was a little different. I wanted to be Cinderella when i grew up, and of course the whole auditorium of parents and teachers laughed and clapped because the thought it was cute the little girl wants to be a princess. When i look back on it, its a little unnerving that all I wanted to accomplish in life was find prince charming, live in a castle and live happily ever after. Not that its a bad thing to want to live in a castle.

I know I wasn't the only little girl out there who wanted to grow up to be a princess and i know i wont be the last. young children are constantly bombarded with images and shows depicting these perfect lives or situations that make them want to have that themselves. the sad thing is, is that we don't see the corruption that is happening around us until its too late. there are so many people out there with self esteem issues, eating disorders, and other mental health problems due to the pressures put on them at such a young age. what is bothersome is that most of the "problems" have a lot to do with whats on the outside and not the inside. Children (and adults!!) need to know that no matter what their skin color is, body shape, eye color, hair type, height, or what ever else they think is "wrong" with them, isn't that at all, but is so beautiful. Children need to know at a young age that they're special and true happiness should have nothing to do with what society dictates as beautiful.

 

Unlearning the Myths the Bind Us by Linda Christensen

* I think something interesting to talk about in class is how the media set up young people with unrealistic expectations and how photoshop is a tool to trick people into wanting to look like something that is realistically impossible.

3 comments:

  1. I work at a daycare and during the summer we had a "career week". All the children (ages 4-5) got to tell the teachers what they wanted to be when they grew up. During the week, they got to dress the part and act the part. The class had about 8 girls and 5 boys. When the children began to arrive, the costumes consisted of firefighters, policeman, nurses, teachers, vets, astronauts, a chef, and out of the 8 girls, there were three princesses! (Cinderella, Ariel, and Snow White) It's interesting that that boys were the firefighters/policeman/chefs, while the girls had more nurturing/ feminine jobs such as teachers/nurses/vets. At such a young age, these children are already determining what boys can do and what girls can do. They are determining which career choices are feminine and masculine. I notice this a lot when the children get about age four. When they are around 2-3, it doesn't matter the gender you are, a boy can be a princess with no asked. It makes me sad that there is such a divide. Who cares if a boy wanted to be a princess? Who cares if a boy’s favorite color is pink? THEY ARE KIDS! Just like your experience, I noticed parents laughing about how cute it was that the girls wanted to be princesses. I agree that children are constantly pressured by the images out there that are seen on the daily.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you bring this up too because what I wonder is how I'll react if my daughter tells me she wants to be a princess. I'm really into gender neutral parenting, but that doesn't mean that my little girl won't love pink and want to be Cinderella when she grows up. Maybe a good thing to do in that case is ask why. Instead of discouraging it, have her think about why exactly she wants to be Cinderella. It could be because she has a pretty dress or lives in a castle or has cool mouse friends...who knows. Maybe it's less important who and more important why

      Delete
  2. I agree that children are bombarded with images of shows and famous teens that show teens with perfect bodies and lavish lifestyles. In my health class, we discuss body image and cosmetic surgery. I can't believe the number of sophomores who's parents have verbally agreed to give them breast implants for their graduation presents. Forget cars or college funds but breast implants! They say it so nonchalantly like its a new wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete